Public and Occupier’s Liability

If you are injured at a public place (street or park etc.) or at a private property (a house, shop, shopping centre, restaurant, school, library, swimming pools, railway station etc.), and

1. your injury is significant and permanent and likely to cause ongoing impairment, and

2. your injury was caused by the fault or negligence of the owner or the occupier of the property at which your injury occurred,

then you may be entitled to claim benefits as follows:

  • lump sum loss of income - past and future
  • lump sum pain and suffering
  • past and future medical expenses
  • rehabilitation expenses
  • home modification expenses
  • cost of care
  • other expenses relating to your injury.

An injury can be new, or a worsening of a pre-existing condition and may be physical and/or psychological.

Circumstances that may give rise to a public or occupier’s liability compensation claim include injuries due to:

  • slips, trips and falls
  • cycling accidents
  • recreational or sporting accidents
  • animal attacks
  • accidents on public transport, in planes, or on boats
  • accidents that occur at school, on the playground, at musical events, etc.
  • accidents in the home
  • defective products
  • physical/sexual assaults, etc.

Public and occupier’s liability are difficult areas of law so it is important that you receive professional legal advice to ensure that your rights are protected.


The law sets strict time limits within which you must begin legal action. If you do not make your claim within the time constraints, you could lose all the rights to your entitlements.

Do not delay, contact us now